Friday, November 18, 2011

Hygge Blanket

Alec recently got a new kitten and he is the cutest thing ever. His name is Hygge and before you judge the silly name let me explain why Alec chose it. A while back Alec was studying in Denmark and stayed with a host family. The family has a cat and during his time there Alec really enjoyed playing with her. You can imagine how excited he was to hear that she had had kittens when he went to visit the next year. When he met them he loved them so much that he decided to keep one of them! Since the kitten came from Denmark he wanted to give it a Danish name. The word hygge is a big part of Danish culture. It's hard to translate but I suppose the best English word to describe it is cozy. Naturally he thought this would be the perfect name for the cat! He is super cute.

 Since Hygge makes us feel so cozy I thought I would crochet him his very own blanket so that he could feel cozy too! I used my favorite yarn of all time Vanna's Choice. It's really soft but still very affordable. The colors I chose reflect the colors of the cat so that when he curls up in it, it will look like a giant cuddly ball of adorableness! I used a pattern from Red Heart Yarn that I have used in the past for larger blankets. It is called Country Home Crochet Throw. Here is a link to the pattern. http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/country-home-crochet-throw

I altered the pattern a little bit to make it an appropriate size for a cat. Instead of 85 rows for each strip I made 31. Other than that I followed the pattern. Its pretty simple and went fairly quickly. I made the whole thing in a day. In fact I had yarn left over and decided to make another one for my cat Jelly! She really likes it!


(by the way this is my new favorite photo of my girl)




2 comments:

  1. AHH KITTY!! Oh Hygge is cuter than I thought. I love the big ball of adorableness, haha. Congrats Alec in your new addition to your family! Are there going to be kitty playdates in the future?

    ReplyDelete