Saturday, January 21, 2012

Crochet Jewelry



A little while ago I was browsing in Etsy and came across a cuff made of crocheted wire. I was so excited when I saw it because it combines two if my favorite hobbies, crocheting and jewelry! Of course I had to try it. The cuff that I saw was made with gold filled wire. Since I didn't feel like spending a flobbity gillion dollars on this project I went to AC Moore and picked up some 24 gauge silver craft wire.



Next I had to choose a hook size. The stitches in the cuff on Etsy were fairly large but since I wanted to use crystals in the design I needed a smaller stitch. I chose the F hook and it seemed to work well. Although I would suggest using a metal hook. I made the mistake of using a plastic one and the metal wire chewed it up and I ended up having to throw it away.
I started with a bracelet. To begin I chained a row of about twenty. I started adding the crystals on the second row. This part was a bit tricky. Before making each stitch I had to string a crystal. This means I had to unwind the whole spool of wire to string the crystal from the end. I crocheted about five rows making the bracelet about an inch wide. When I finished I cut the extra wire and wrapped it around the last stitch. I added two thin chains on either end of the bracelet and attached a clasp.


I loved the bracelet so much that I decided to make a matching necklace. I made the pendant a bit shorter than the bracelet and added a crystal tassel and a simple chain.



No comments:

Post a Comment